This Double Chocolate Banana Zucchini Bread is loaded with sweet bananas, dark chocolate chunks and zucchinis making it super-moist, nutrient-dense, and full of flavor in every bite. It’s perfect for breakfast or for afternoon tea and can be prepped in just a few minutes.
WHAT YOU’LL LOVE ABOUT THIS DOUBLE CHOCOLATE BANANA ZUCCHINI BREAD
- Made with whole wheat flour – whole wheat flour has more fiber compared to refined all-purpose flour hence it gives you more fullness
- Uses natural sweeteners – we swap the refined sugars with coconut sugar and pure maple syrup which are made from unrefined, wholesome ingredients
- Packed with plants – the addition of ripe bananas and zucchinis add lots of fiber, and nutrients into this bread. Bananas are rich in potassium, and zucchinis are great sources of vitamin C, and K and are low in calories too.
- Freeze-friendly – this bread can store well in the freezer so you can double the batch and freeze it to save for another week. It can store for up to a month in the freezer and can be reheated easily.
- Chocolate-rich – we use cocoa powder, and dark chocolate chunks and dark chocolate chips to make this decadent and chocolatey
TIPS TO MAKE THESE DOUBLE CHOCOLATE BANANA ZUCCHINI BREAD
- Use very ripe bananas. Since this bread is using less sugar than most banana breads, make sure to use very ripe bananas with the brown spots on its peel. If you have unripe bananas, a hack is to pop it in the oven for about 15 minutes or so until it caramelizes. You can also grill the bananas to bring out the natural sugars from it.
- Squeeze out the excess water from zucchinis. This is a key step that I recommend not to skip. Zucchinis have so much water in it so its best to squeeze out the moisture so you don’t end up with mushy zucchini bread. Once grated, transfer it to a cheesecloth or a kitchen towel and squeeze the water out using both hands. You can save the zucchini water for your smoothies.
- Don’t over-mix the batter. Just like other breads, the key to have moist and fluffy bread is not to over-mix the batter.
- You can store in the fridge for up to 4 days in an airtight container with a lid.
- When freezing, slice first the bread and arrange in a single layer on a baking tray lined with parchment paper, then freeze. Once frozen, transfer to a freezer-friendly container.
- You can reheat it in the oven, pop it into the toaster, or on the stovetop with a pan.
OTHER BANANA BREAD RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
- Paleo Chocolate Banana Bread
- Super Moist Banana Bread
- Paleo Blueberry Banana Bread
- The Best Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
MORE ZUCCHINI RECIPES
I hope you enjoy making this double chocolate banana zucchini bread! They’re perfect when paired with some almond butter on top with your favorite cup of tea or coffee.
As always if you ever make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment down below or tag me in Instagram @fitfoodiemommy.
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or sub with light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup or sub with honey
- 2 eggs large
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated zucchini moisture drained
- 3/4 cup ripe bananas mashed
- 100 grams dark chocolate chopped coarsely
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts or sub with other nuts
- 1 tablespoon dark chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a loaf pan with baking paper.
- Prepare the zucchini by placing it in a tea towel or kitchen paper towel, and using both hands wring out the excess water. You can save the water for your smoothies. Set aside the grated zucchini.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder, salt, and ground cinnamon.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, coconut sugar, pure maple or honey, vanilla extract, and coconut oil. Whisk together until smooth.
- Combine the dry ingredients into the wet mixture. Using a wooden spoon, mix together until there's no more streaks of flour. Add the mashed bananas, and grated zucchini and mix it just enough for it to be combined.
- Fold in the dark chocolate chunks into the batter. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and top with more dark chocolate chips and chopped nuts if using. Bake for about 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let it cool down for 10 minutes once baked before slicing. To store, transfer into an airtight container and store in the fridge for 4 days or the freezer for up to a month. When freezing, slice the bread first and then freeze in a single layer on a baking tray. Once frozen, transfer to a container.