My little boy loves cookies and whenever he’s not in school, baking his favorite cookies is one of our favorite bonding activities. I could always hear the excitement in that little voice saying, “Mommy let’s make some cookies!” while he marches straight to the pantry to take out the ingredients we need.
At four, he’s quite amazing in the kitchen, and can identify certain ingredients like cinnamon, chia seeds, and almond flour. He can also manage to mix with an almost-perfect grip on the whisk or wooden spoon. But most of all, he’s pretty good at tasting! haha
This GLUTEN-FREE ALMOND PEANUT BUTTER cookie recipe is such a big hit that it’s by far my most favorite cookie recipe to-date. What you will love about this:
Gluten-Free, Refined-Sugar-Free, Flourless,
Kid-Friendly, Absolutely Delicious
WATCH ME AND LITTLE T MAKE THIS RECIPE FROM OUR KITCHEN!
MAKE THIS EGG-FREE: Substitute the egg with a ‘flax egg’ which is simply a mix of 2.5 tablespoons flax seed + 2 tablespoons water. Let it sit for a few minutes until it gets thick.
ADD MORE SUPERFOODS: You can also substitute the chocolate chips with superfoods like chia seeds, shredded coconut, dried cranberries, walnuts. Your options are endless.
USE OTHER NATURAL SWEETENERS: If not pure maple, you can also use pure honey, agave (for vegan).
MAKE THIS NUT-FREE: If your kids or you have peanut allergies, just simply replace the peanut butter with almond butter, or cashew butter. Just make sure it’s 100% all-natural by reading the label which should only have almonds or cashews in it.
WHAT IF YOU DON’T HAVE ALMOND FLOUR? You can replace the almond flour with whole wheat flour but that wouldn’t be gluten-free anymore. I wouldn’t use coconut flour though as that would change the ratios of the other ingredients since it’s known to absorb more liquid. The next best option is to use gluten-free flour. I just prefer almond flour as it gives it a very nutty taste plus almonds are also packed with healthy fats, fiber, proteins, which are good for your body.
- 1 cup almond flour (ground almonds)
- 1/2 cup all-natural nut butter (almonds or peanuts)
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons pure maple
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons almond flakes
- Pre-heat oven at 180 degrees Celsius. Line a baking sheet with sil-mat or parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix peanut butter, pure maple, egg, coconut oil, vanilla until smooth.
- Add almond flour, baking soda, salt. Mix well.
- Add choco chips, almond flakes.
- Refrigerate or chill for 15 minutes if you want chewy cookies. Otherwise you can go straight to baking. Bake between 8-9 minutes or until golden brown. I usually leave them on the cookie sheet but out of the oven for another 10 minutes to continue cooking.
Share this recipe and use hashtag #TheFitFoodieMommy if ever you get to try this with your little ones. Happy cookie-eating!