Mornings are better when you have a loaf of this paleo blueberry banana bread. It’s gluten-free, refined-sugar free and dotted with sweet, tangy blueberries. It’s healthy enough to even have for breakfast.
The key to delicious banana breads start with very ripe bananas–the ones with brown spots on it. I also added desiccated coconut in this bread which makes the perfect pairing with the almond flour. And the best part of this bread is the burst of blueberries in every bite which makes this an absolute treat whether you eat it for afternoon tea or breakfast. Yes, breakfast coz it’s that healthy and guilt-free. Make it please, and you’ll thank me later.
SHOULD I USE FRESH OR FROZEN BLUEBERRIES?
Fresh is always best but if you’re like me who wants to save a few bucks when it’s out of season, then go for frozen. Keep it frozen (not thawed) when you fold it into your batter so you don’t end up with all-blue banana bread. I would suggest also reducing the amount to about 3/4 cup since frozen blueberries tend to be heavier with the excess moisture and can weigh down the batter. And stir very gently, so the blueberry juices don’t color the batter too much.
CAN I SUB ALMOND FLOUR WITH OTHER FLOUR?
Yes you can sub it with regular all-purpose or whole wheat flour, but then it will no longer be paleo. If you’re not sensitive to gluten or not following a paleo diet, then you can try my super-moist banana bread which is another fail-proof recipe.
Almond flour is a great substitute if you are gluten sensitive or have Celiac disease. Other options would be coconut flour or tapioca flour, however they can’t replace regular flours in a one-to-one ratio unlike almond flour. Almonds are also rich in omega 3 fatty acids, fiber, protein, magnesium and vitamin E and known to help reduce blood sugar, and lower bad cholesterol levels.
WHAT IS A PALEO DIET?
If the term is new to you, here’s a simple explanation. Paleo diet also known as the paleolithic or caveman diet, traces back to the eating ways of our ancestors. It’s central philosophy being that our bodies are designed to thrive on foods that were available to our early paleolithic ancestors from 10,000 years ago.
FOODS ENCOURAGED: grass-fed, pasture-raised meats, fish, eggs, vegetables, fruits, roots and nuts.
FOODS RESTRICTED: grains (flour), beans, dairy products, potatoes, refined sugar, salt, and processed oils.
MORE PALEO TREATS:
PALEO SUPER-MOIST CHOCOLATE CAKE
If you love this recipe be sure to leave a comment below or tag me in Instagram @fitfoodiemommy if you share a photo of your recreation.
Happy paleo baking!
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons all-natural, unsweetened peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 cups almond flour or almond meal
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup or honey
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 cup blueberries reduce to 3/4 cup if using frozen
- Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Line a loaf pan with baking paper.
- In a bowl, mix the eggs, peanut butter, coconut oil, maple syrup, until creamy and smooth. Mash your bananas and add into the bowl, along with the desiccated coconut, cinnamon, and chia seeds.
- Mix gently until just combined but don't overmix. Then gently fold in the blueberries. If using frozen, don't stir too much or the blueberry juices will color the batter. Pour the batter into the loaf pan and top with more blueberries or almond flakes if you prefer.
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted at the center. Let it cool on the pan for another 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To serve, top with almond butter or greek / coconut yogurt.
I love everything in here! Thank you Tara and congrats in every achievement you have! Enjoy life… God bless… ❤️?
1 Comment on Paleo Blueberry Banana Bread