Who else loves quick, easy and healthy dinner recipes? This prawn zucchini sundried pesto pasta is surely one of those. This is perfect for meal-prep and is guaranteed to be a family favorite!
This pasta dish has succulent prawns and slices of zucchini which is then flavored with sundried tomatoes and pesto sauce, making this a healthy dish that even kids will love. First time I served this to Theo I thought he would dislike the pesto, but on the contrary he loved it! This will definitely also be a school lunch box recipe when he starts Prep in two weeks’ time.
If you don’t have zucchini in your area, you can sub it with other fleshy veggie like eggplants or mushrooms. I just love zucchinis as they become sweeter when cooked and my little boy just loves it. It’s also rich in Vitamins C and A, and has lots of fiber. Which is why you’ll find me adding them in both sweet and savory recipes –like my chocolate zucchini bread, and zucchini teriyaki meatballs.
Hope you and your family enjoy this recipe!
Prawn Zucchini Sundried Pesto Pasta
- 250 grams penne pasta (whole wheat or gluten-free, preferrably)
- 150 grams large prawns, de-shelled and de-veined
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup pesto sauce
- 1/4 cup sundried tomatoes chopped roughly
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1. Bring water to a boil in a saucepan and cook penne pasta per package instructions. Before draining, save about 1/2 cup pasta water. Drain the pasta and set aside.
- 2. While pasta is cooking, heat olive oil in a skillet and sauté onions and garlic. Add the prawns and cook for 2 minutes until prawns are lightly pink. Add the sliced zucchinis and cook for another minute or two. Add the sundried tomatoes and cook for a minute.
- 3. Add the cooked pasta, and pesto sauce. Pour a bit of the pasta water to loosen it up. Add the oregano, salt and pepper. Add half of the parmesan cheese. Taste the pasta and season as you please.
- 4. Turn off the heat and transfer to a plate. Add the fresh basil and top with more parmesan cheese. Serve warm.