The perfectly baked crispy kale chips that even kids will absolutely love!
If you have watched my video over at my Facebook page on how to get kids to eat more veggies, you’ll recall that one of my tips is to make homemade veggie chips. And these CRISPY KALE CHIPS has been such a favorite of my little boy ever since I found the perfect recipe.
Why it’s the BEST? Well, if a 4 year old can gobble down an entire bowl of these kale chips like it’s nobody’s business, then there’s no better word to describe it!
HOW HEALTHY IS KALE?
KALE is a very nutrient-dense food, and has been taking centerstage in the nutrition world due to its healthy benefits. It’s low calorie but high in powerful antioxidants such as beta-carotene and vitamin C. Its part of the cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, leafy greens, which are known to help reduce oxidative damage and reduce risk of degenerative diseases, including cancer.
The only thing to consider is that kale is in the top list of the DIRTY DOZEN which are fresh produce that have the highest pesticide residue. And therefore, they are best bought organic. If at all you can’t buy organic kale, make sure you wash and soak the leaves in water for at least five minutes, before using in your dishes.
HOW TO MAKE PERFECTLY CRISPY KALE CHIPS?
DRY YOUR KALE WELL. Crispy kale starts with making sure your kale is dry enough after washing them. Use a kitchen towel or a salad spinner to take the moisture out.
BAKE IN LOW HEAT FOR LONGER TIME. I’ve been making crispy kale chips for the nth time and have had bitter and burnt kale chips. Until I found the perfect temperature and timing, it’s come out nice and crispy every time. The sweet spot for me is at 125 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes. Again, this depends on your oven so I would recommend keeping the temperature low and checking halfway through and see how much longer it will take.
KILLER DRESSING. Now this is where the fun begins! My usual ingredients are a good quality olive oil, tahini (which is from sesame seeds) or almond butter, red wine vinegar, pure honey, sea salt and black pepper. These 5 flavors give you the sweet, salt, sour combinaton making your crispy kale chips taste so freakin’ good!!!
IMPORTANT TIP: Make sure to MASSAGE the kale with the dressing. Use your hands and coat the leaves really well with it. This makes sure the kale soaks up all the flavor and again, it crisps up nicely.
- 1 bunch fresh kale (organic, preferrably)
- 3 tbsps olive oil
- 3 tbsps red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp tahini or almond butter
- 1-2 tsps honey
- sea salt & pepper
- Pre-heat your oven to 125 deg C. And line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Prep the kale by taking out the stems. Wash your kale with water, and soak it for at least 5 minutes. Drain, and pat-dry with a kitchen towel or use a salad spinner. Don't skip this as the less moisture, the crispier your kale chips will get.
- In a large bowl, whisk the rest of the ingredients until well combined. Have a taste of it and adjust to your preference like adding more of the vinegar or honey or salt. Then transfer the dried kale into the bowl. Use your hands to massage the kale well and coat the leaves with the dressing. This is an important step as again, it will give your kale chips that flavor punch and that crisp.
- Transfer the kale on to your baking tray in a single layer. Leave some space in-between and don't get them too crowded, otherwise your kale won't crisp up that much. You may have to bake in 2-3 batches depending on how big your tray is. Bake for 10 minutes then flip using a tong. Bake for another 8-10 minutes until crispy. Keep an eye on your oven and make sure you don't burn the kale.
- Transfer to a bowl and sprinkle with some more sea salt. Enjoy while warm!
Hope you enjoy these chips as much as my little boy did!