The easiest, healthiest, most delicious vegan chocolate chunk cookies! It’s made dairy-free, gluten-free, refined sugar-free and full of chocolatey goodness in every bite. It’s gooey in the middle, a little crunchy on the outside with big chunks of melted chocolate. The best lockdown snack ever!
KEY INGREDIENTS WE USED
Coconut sugar – a natural sweetener which is a great substitute for your regular white or brown sugar. Coconut sugar is considered low-glycemic so it’s a healthier alternative to refined sugars.
Coconut oil – serves as a substitute for butter
Gluten-free flour – this can also be substituted with regular all-purpose flour or even whole wheat flour
Oat milk – a non-dairy milk alternative which also adds more fiber into this recipe. Other non-dairy milk can be used like almond milk, cashew milk or soy milk
Dairy-free dark chocolate – simply chop the chocolate bar into chunks. This makes the cookies more chocolatey compared to using regular chocolate chips. I like to use at least 70% dark chocolate.
CAN THESE COOKIES BE FROZEN?
Yes can do! The cookie dough can be frozen once you’ve rolled these into balls, or you can freeze already baked cookies. If the latter, be sure to cool them first before freezing, and place a parchment paper in between to keep them from sticking to each other.
VARIATIONS TO THESE CHOCOLATE CHUNK COOKIES
Use chocolate chips if that’s what you prefer. Also add some more crunch like chopped walnuts, macadamias, pistachios, pecans, or almond flakes. Other add-ons are dried fruits like cranberries, sultanas, and even some seeds like pepitas, and sunflower seeds. The choices are endless!
OTHER HEALTHY COOKIES YOU’LL LOVE
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted and cooled
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup oat milk
- 1 cup dark chocolate chopped into chunks
- pinch sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the coconut sugar, flour, baking powder and salt until there's no more lumps.
- Pour the melted and cooled coconut oil and milk over the dry mixture and mix with a spoon or by hand until combined.
- Using a cookie scooper or spoon, form to about 1-inch sized balls and roll with hands. Place the cookie dough on the baking tray and press lightly with fingers to flatted. Leave about 3 cm in-between cookies as these will spread when baked.
- Bake the cookies for about 10 minutes or until golden brown. Take it out of the oven and leave on the tray for another 7 minutes to cool down and continue cooking. Enjoy with some milk and store leftovers in the fridge or in the freezer.
If you made these cookies be sure to leave a comment below or tag me over in Instagram @fitfoodiemommy and let me know how you’re enjoying these.