Weekends mean baking time! I love baking something on a Sunday to make for easy and quick breakfast or snacks throughout the week. I’ve been testing for a savory muffin and this Zucchini Cheesy Muffin recipe definitely hits all the tasty spots!
It’s packed with healthy goodness from zucchinis, while also making it kid-friendly with the ham and cheese. The first time I made this for Theo, he finished two muffins in one sitting! #Winning!
Zucchini or corguette is this fleshy, flavorful summer squash which is packed with vitamins and minerals like potassium and manganese. It improves digestion, supports circulation and heart health, and helps improve thyroid and adrenal function. It’s also a very versatile ingredient and you can add it in pastas like my Zucchini Lasagna, or in baked treats like my Chocolate Zucchini Banana Bread.
These zucchini cheesy muffins are freezer-friendly, so you can double the batch and freeze some for easy re-heating. Apart from breakfast, you can also have this as a healthy on-the-go snack.
SOME VARIATIONS WHEN MAKING THIS RECIPE:
FLOUR. You can use any other flour like all-purpose flour or whole wheat flour instead of gluten-free. I use gluten-free as a personal preference mainly due to its health benefits. After some experimentation in the kitchen, I find that I’m quite sensitive to gluten so I try to avoid it as much as I can.
MAKE IT VEGAN. You can skip the ham, and also use vegan butter and vegan cheese. Then also use nut milk like almond or cashew milk instead of your dairy cow’s milk.
PACK ON THE VEGGIES. This recipe is very forgiving so you can also use other veggies like grated carrots, even pumpkin. I probably would keep it to no more than one additional veggie so it doesn’t mess up the ratios too much. Otherwise, you’ll have to do a little trial-and-error and adjust the liquids and flour ratios as necessary.
SQUEEZE OUT THE WATER FROM ZUCCHINIS. This is a key step so don’t miss this! After grating the zucchinis, take a kitchen towel or cheese cloth and squeeze out the water from the zucchinis. Zucchinis are very fleshy and watery so it has a tendency to make your baked good too wet and mushy if you miss taking out the moisture from it.
Zucchini Cheesy Muffins
- 1 cup grated zucchinis, packed (1 medium zucchini)
- 4 slices cooked ham, cut into smaller pieces (skip this for vegetarian option)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup minced chives
- 2 cups gluten-free flour or other flour of choice
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Pre-heat oven at 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tray with liners.
- Grate the zucchini. And using a kitchen towel, squeeze out all the moisture. This is a key step to ensure your muffins don't turn out too mushy. So don't skip this step.
- In a small bowl, mix the melted butter and chives. In a larger bowl, mix the eggs and milk. Then add the butter and chives mix. Fold in the cheese, ham and zucchini.
- In another bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder and salt. Then combine the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Gently mix them together, careful not to overmix.
- Scoop the muffin batter into the tin, about 2/3 full. You can top with more cheese if you like. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden on top. Serve warm or store in the fridge for up to 5 days, or in the freezer for up to a month.
If you made this recipe, leave a comment below and let me know how it goes. And tag me in IG @tara_fitfoodiemommy and use hashtag #TheFitFoodieMommy for a shoutout if you share this in social media.
Hope you enjoy these muffins!