Sweet and salty caramel energy balls that will get you energized in every bite. These are perfect for meal-prep and are freezer-friendly. Best part — it only has 5 ingredients and can be done in under 15 minutes!
If you know me, I’m always on the lookout for quick and easy-to-make healthy snacks and energy balls are my go-to. If you tried my ALMOND CACAO PROTEIN BALLS, then I’m positive you would be hooked with this!
So what makes the caramel base for these bliss balls?
DATES. Dates is one of my pantry essentials and I use it a lot in my baking as a natural sweetener. The key to making caramel out of dates is to soften it by soaking in warm water then blitzing it into your food processor and in seconds you will have your 100% all-natural caramel. How easy can that get?
You can use medjool dates for this recipe which is my preference for its taste. But you can use whatever dates you can get your hands on. Dates are high in fiber, and is known to improve digestive health and help with constipation. And despite it’s sweet taste, it’s also low glycemic which means it doesn’t give you that sugar spike like most sugary refined ingredients.
Now for some added protein, you can add scoops of your favorite vanilla protein powder. I have been using THIS ONE one for years now which is gluten-free, and low-glycemic so it helps curb my sweet cravings too. I usually snack on energy balls after a home workout so I need the protein boost.
5-Ingredients Salted Caramel Bliss Balls
- 1 cup pitted dates, chopped
- 2/3 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup vanilla protein powder
- In a bowl, soak your chopped dates with warm water for 10 minutes. Drain and save the dates water.
- In a food processor or high-power blender like Vitamix, blitz the dates and add a tablespoon of the dates water until it comes together into a caramel-like texture. Add more water as you please.
- Add the rolled oats, salt, and vanilla protein powder (if using) and pulse for a few seconds until it is well combined.
- Scoop about a tablespoon and roll into balls. Roll into more desiccated coconut. Chill for a few minutes and enjoy. You can also store in an airtight container and freeze. Then defrost enough balls the night before to consume the next day. Don't re-freeze once thawed.
And if you love dates, you can also check out try my CHOCOLATE STUFFED DATES which is another no-bake snack that even my little boy absolutely loves!
For more healthy snacks, be sure to download my FREE 10 NO-BAKE HEALTHY SNACKS and get smart-snacking!
And if you made this recipe, make sure to leave a comment below and let me know how it goes. Don’t forget to take a photo and tag me in Instagram @fitfoodiemommy.