If you’re on Instagram or Tiktok, you probably have come across the viral #JenniferAnistonSalad. And it’s called as such for good reason. This salad is sexy (with all the vibrant colours), super fresh and nourishing with the whole grains (quinoa), legumes (chickpeas), veggies (cucumbers, tomatoes) and nuts (pistachios) loaded into one bowl of goodness. To top it off, it has a sweet-tangy-nutty lemon tahini dressing which gives you a mouthful of flavour! I can definitely eat this all day, and no wonder the famous ‘Friends’ celebrity does!
ADDITIONS AND SUBSTITUTIONS OF THE JENNIFER ANISTON SALAD
- SWAP THE GRAINS. You can jazz this up by adding other veggies you like brown rice, bulgur (what Jennifer uses), or even couscous. I used quinoa which is a ‘pseudo-cereal’ meaning it’s not a grain per se, and is a rich source of protein.
- ADD HERBS / OTHER GREENS. Jennifer’s version has parsley and mint in it so you can go ahead and add those. Other options would be basil or even coriander. I added lettuce but you can also go for spinach or rocket.
- ADD DAIRY. Jennifer’s version has feta cheese in it which I skipped but you can totally add that as you wish.
- USE OTHER DRESSING. If you don’t have tahini, you can use a simple lemon vinaigrette with 3 parts extra-virgin olive oil and 1 part fresh lemon juice with a squeeze of pure honey, seasoned with salt and pepper.
- USE OTHER LEGUMES. Not a chickpea fan? You can use instead black beans, red kidney beans or even lentils. Legumes are rich in protein and fiber which helps promote a healthier gut. If using canned beans (which is what I’m using in this recipe), be sure to read the labels and it shouldn’t have any artificial flavors or other ingredients in it–just the beans.
- ADD MORE PROTEINS. Throw-in some cooked chicken pieces, tuna, tofu, or tempeh to make this a more protein-dense salad.
IS THIS SALAD MEAL-PREP FRIENDLY?
Oh yes indeed! This salad is perfect for meal-prep and stores very well in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Just prep the dressing separately and add it right before serving for more crispness of the veggies.
The ‘pickled’ red onions is also something you can prep ahead. If you’re not a fan of this type of onion, you’ll probably love it after this salad! TIP: Soak the onions in the lemon & apple cider vinegar for longer (even overnight if you can prep this ahead) for that added sweetness.
So what are you waiting for? Eat like a (healthy) celebrity with this feel-good Jennifer Anniston Salad! Let me know how it goes if you every try this salad or make any variations.
TRY THESE OTHER SALAD FAVOURITES IN THE BLOG
- 1/2 cup quinoa cooked
- 1 cucumber sliced
- 1 small red onion sliced thinly
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup chickpeas 400 grams can, drained
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 cup lettuce chopped
- 1/4 cup pistachios roughly chopped
Lemon Tahini Dressing
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspooon pure honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- Cook your quinoa as per package instructions, set aside. Prep the onions by placing it in a bowl or jar with the lemon or apple cider vinegar. You can also make this ahead the night before.
- To assemble the salad, combine the lettuce, quinoa, tomatoes, cucumber, and pistachios in a bowl.
- Prep the dressing by whisking together the tahini, lemon, honey, mustard, boiling water and salt in a small bowl until creamy and smooth. Pour the dressing over the salad and enjoy!
If you enjoyed this recipe, be sure to tag me over at my Instagram @fitfoodiemommy so I can share your recreations in my stories. Let me know in below comments if you do try it. Enjoy!