Kids LOVE chicken nuggets. And my little boy is no exception to that. But giving him the fast-food nuggets isn’t the most ideal with it being deep-fried and loaded with all the preservatives. So I have been thinking up of ways to ‘healthify’ this recipe. These nuggets are flour-free and using only organic panko crumbs and freshly grated parmesan for the breading. And I also baked them instead of frying them. Yet every bite of the nugget is crispy-cheesy-perfection. The cheesy taste from the parmesan is subtle but it takes the flavor a notch higher.
These only have 8 ingredients and can be prepped in minutes. Perfect for busy mommas who want to serve a healthy but quick and easy dish for their little tots!
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
250 grams chicken thights (free-range preferrably), cubed
1/2 cup panko break crumbs
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 free-range egg, slightly beaten
salt & pepper
1/4 cup greek yogurt
1 tablespoon cilantro
- Pre-heat the oven at 425 degrees F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- On a plate, lay down the cubed chicken and pat them dry with a paper towel. Season with salt and pepper.
- On a shallow plate, mix the panko crumbs and parmesan cheese. Season with a bit of salt and pepper. Season also the beaten egg.
- Dip the chicken one at a time first on the beaten egg, then the panko-parmesan mix, and place on to the baking sheet. Line them up at least an inch apart. This makes them crisp up so make sure not to crowd the tray with too many nuggets.
- Bake for about 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- To make the dip, mix the greek yogurt, juice of the lime, cilantro, salt and pepper.
- Serve the chicken warm with the refreshing dip.
Follow me on INSTAGRAM and tag me @fitfoodiemommy if you ever get to try this recipe. Bon appetit!