CHOCOLATE BANANA PROTEIN MUFFINS packed with lots of healthy goodness in every bite. It’s moist, chocolatey, high in protein, and refined sugar free. This is perfect as a healthy and wholesome snack. This is one of the 65 healthy recipes and a fan favorite from my ebook HEALTHY COOKING MADE EASY.
TIPS WHEN MAKING THIS CHOCOLATE BANANA PROTEIN MUFFINS:
- Use very ripe bananas. This makes a ton of difference when it comes to the flavor. Use bananas that have brown spots on it which is what I usually make for my banana breads too. If your bananas are not ripe enough, a simple hack is to simply microwave it for 2-3 minutes or until it softens and sort of caramelizes.
- Use high-quality raw cacao. Pick an unsweetened, unrefined, raw cacao powder. Raw cacao is made by cold-pressing un-roasted cacao beans. The process keeps the living enzymes in the cacao and removes the fat (cacao butter). Cocoa looks the same but it’s not. Cocoa powder is raw cacao that’s been roasted at high temperatures. Sadly, roasting changes the molecular structure of the cacao bean, reducing the enzyme content, and lowering the overall nutritional value (Food Matters).
- Use high-quality protein powder. Same as with other ingredients, not all protein powders are created equal. Be sure to read the labels and go for one that doesn’t have refined sugar. I have used this brand for years now since it’s low-glycemic, gluten-free, and high in fiber.
- Keep it moist by not overmixing the batter. Mix it using a wooden spoon and just enough to combine the wet and dry ingredients.
- Make it vegan or non-dairy by substituting the egg with a flax egg (1 egg = combine 2.5 tablespoons of flaxseed meal + 1 tablespoon water to thicken), and use non-dairy milk and non-dairy chocolate chips.
OTHER MUFFIN RECIPES YOU WILL LOVE:
If you ever make this recipe, let me know how it goes! I’d love to hear from you in the comments below.
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 1/2 cups flour of choice
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cacao or cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar or sub with light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened milk
- 1/3 cup chocolate protein powder
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 176 degrees Celsius / 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a 12 regular-sized muffin tray with baking spray or line with muffin liners.
- In a bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, cacao or cocoa powder, and protein powder. And in another bowl, mix the mashed bananas, oil, eggs, vanilla extract and milk. Mix the wet into the dry ingredients and gently stir until well combined. Don’t over-mix, otherwise the muffins will come out dense. Fold in dark choco chips if using.
- Fill each muffin cup to about 2/3 full and bake in the oven for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let it cool on the tray for another 7 minutes and remove to completely cool on a wire rack.
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days or freeze by wrapping individually in foil.