I have been wanting to bake grain-free muffins for the longest time and I always thought it is a complicated recipe. Boy, was I wrong! This GRAIN-FREE BANANA-BLUEBERRY-CHOCO CHIP MUFFINS took me less than an hour including the baking. And it tastes absolutely divine! You won’t even guess that is is white flour-free and refined-sugar free!
I used almond meal and coconut flour as the base of these muffins. Sweeteners were the over-ripe bananas and the pure maple. Honey could also be an alternative. And if you want to make this paleo, then go for dairy-free chocolate chips. It’s the first time for me to also use silicon muffin molds and I am a total convert!
You can double the recipe if you’re using the regular-sized muffin tins to make a dozen. As for the timing, make sure you watch the oven carefully as these muffins can get burnt pretty easily. It’s best if it’s just nicely done. Not too firm, not too mushy. So depending on your oven, it might take less or more time than indicated. So keep that timer on-hand!
These muffins will come out moist, and you can really taste the coconut in it. Yummmm! My little boy absolutely loved it and devoured it in seconds! The best part is it’s refined-sugar free so it’s a healthy indulgence.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
1/4 cup almond meal (or almonds grounded finely)
1/4 cup coconut flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp of sea salt
2 bananas mashed (preferrably browned on the outside, over-ripe)
3 eggs whisked
1/4 c coconut oil, melted
2 tbsps pure maple or honey
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 c chocolate chips
1/4 c fresh blueberries
- Pre-heat the oven at 375 degrees. Grease muffin tins with olive oil cooking spray or brush with coconut oil.
- In a medium bowl mix all the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, mash the bananas, then add all the wet ingredients. Mix lightly til combined.
- Add the wet into the dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula. Mix until well combined.
- Fold in the choco chips and blueberries. Scoop about 2 tbsps into the muffin tins. Bake for about 10-12 mins or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let it cool on wire rack before serving.
Tag me in Instagram @tara_fitfoodiemommy if you try out this recipe.