Healthier trail mix that is made from 100% wholesome ingredients and is naturally sweetened. It’s loaded with whole nuts, seeds, and superfoods which make for a perfect guilt-free snack treat.
If there’s one thing I love to do, it’s snacking! And apart from my usual baked banana breads and muffins, I also love to make my own trail mix which can be topped on yogurts, smoothies, or enjoyed on its own especially when we are on long road trips!
Why make your own trail mix when you can buy at the grocery, you might ask.
For one, you can skip the refined sugar and other additives that you would usually find in pre-packaged goods. And second, this actually comes out way more economical as well. Plus, you can also customize it and add whatever healthy ingredients you love.
How to make your healthier trail mix?
1.Add whole nuts & seeds of choice. In this recipe, I added almonds, cashews, and pecans. Other options are walnuts, peanuts, pistachios, macadamias or hazelnuts. For the seeds, I used chia seeds, and pumpkin seeds. Nuts and seeds are high in fiber, protein, minerals and are powerhouses of antioxidants. They’re good for the gut, brain health, and even skin health.
2.Natural sweetener. I use pure maple or pure honey. Be sure to read the label and it should only have 100% honey or maple in it. Although they are a tad costly than your artificially-flavored honey or maple syrup, they have more health benefits and they also taste so much more delicious.
3.Other add-ons. I also love adding dried fruit like cranberries, sultanas or apricots. Coconut flakes is also another favorite which gives it a more nutty flavor.
BAKING TIME. When baking the trail mix, be sure to keep an eye on your oven as you wouldn’t want to have burnt nuts and seeds. They will taste bitter like burnt popcorn and that’s something I don’t really fancy!
STORAGE. I would generally store the trail mix in a mason jar with an airtight lid and keep it in the fridge. I find that chilling it keeps it fresher for longer, and also crispier especially in the warmer months.
This would make the perfect homemade gifts for birthdays or even the holidays. Make sure you make enough and save some for you too. I have a feeling you’ll love this!
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup raw pecans
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/3 cup almond flakes
- 1/3 cup coconut flakes
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 2-3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons pure maple or pure honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Pre-heat oven at 350 deg F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients using a spoon or your hands. Make sure to coat all the nuts and seeds well with the coconut oil and sweetener.
- Spread the trail mix on the lined baking tray. Using a spatula, scatter them as evenly as possible.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, stirring or flipping it halfway through so it cooks evenly. If you want them a little darker, just add 2-3 minutes to the baking time.
- Once cooked, take it out of the oven and let it sit on the counter for another 10 minutes to cool down. This also crisps up the trail mix really nicely. Once cooled, transfer to an airtight container with a lid and store in your pantry or fridge.
If you love this recipe, I’m sure you will also love my SALTED DARK CHOCOLATE GRANOLA which is another favorite snack of mine!
And as always, leave a comment or feedback below and tell me how it goes and if you have other ways to make this even more delicious!
Stay healthy, stay happy!