I love Mexican food! The quesadillas, the fajitas, and of course the burrito! It’s filling, satisfying, and it’s a very forgiving dish so there’s no way you can mess up when you try to prep a burrito! Here’s my version of a HEALTHY CHICKEN BURRITO which you can prepare for you and your family. It’s easy, healthy, and super tasty!
I usually grill a huge batch of the chicken and the veggies over the weekend. Then I just add a few items like the avocado, or the cheese once we are ready to enjoy it. An alternative is you assemble everything to prep the burrito beforehand and then store it in the fridge in an airtight container. I wouldn’t chill this too long in the fridge as the avocado usually turns slightly bitter in taste. Or you can also just skip the avocado totally and just add tomatoes or even cucumber for a healthier twist. Hope you enjoy this too!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
500 grams chicken breast, cut into strips
2 tsps (or more) of ground paprika
1 tsp cayenne powder (optional)
1 medium zucchini, sliced about 1/4 inch thick
1 medium red capsicum, sliced into strips
1 medium red onion sliced
salt & pepper to taste
ripe avocado, sliced
cooked brown rice
cottage cheese (optional)
mozzarella cheese (optional)
wholegrain tortilla wrap
- Marinate the chicken with the paprika, salt and pepper, zest of half a lime, and about a tbsp of olive oil for at least 5-7 minutes. You can adjust the seasoning to your liking. You may also add cayenne powder if you wish for it to be spicy.
- Heat a grill pan. Grill the chicken about 2-3 minutes per side or until cooked. Meanwhile you can prep the veggies by drizzling these with olive oil, and seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Once the chicken are cooked, transfer to a dish and set aside. You may have to grill in batches. You can grill the veggies on the same pan. This will let all the flavors seep into the veggies. Cook for about a minute or so per side or until slightly charred. Transfer to another dish.
- To assemble, take one piece of tortilla wrap, spread about a teaspoon of cottage cheese if using at the center. Place a couple slices of the capsicum, zucchini, onions, then the chicken, and avocado. Top with salsa and a drizzle of lime, some more salt & pepper if desired.
- Roll the tortilla to finish up your burrito. You may wrap individually in foil and store in an airtight container and chill in the fridge for about 2-3 days.
Tag me in IG @tara_fitfoodiemommy if you try this recipe! ?