Let’s talk SKINCARE! If there’s one thing else I’m passionate about aside from food, it’s SKIN HEALTH. Why? Simply because our skin is a manifestation of how we take care of our body. What you see from the outside reflects what’s going on inside. A blemish, scar, or pigmentation, dullness, or flakiness, could mean that your body isn’t getting the right amount of nourishment, hydration or TLC–may it be from the food you are taking in, or from the skin products you are putting on.
So for today’s first episode of our #SkincareSeries, I want to share about GENTLE CLEANSING. Yes! How to gently cleanse your face which starts from picking the right cleanser for your skin type to the right way of actually cleansing your face.
HOW TO PICK THE RIGHT CLEANSER FOR YOUR SKIN TYPE?
Such a simple question but most often a lot of us get this all wrong. I have dry, sensitive skin and I used to think that the drier my skin feels after cleansing, the cleaner it is! Girl, was I wrong!
Here’s how to pick your cleanser for your skin type:
- Dry, sensitive skin: use a soap-free, non-foaming cleanser that restores soothing protective moisture while it gently washes away dirt and impurities.
- Oily, combination skin: use mild, soap-based (foamy) cleanser that balances oil as it cleanses. One that also aids the skin’s natural exfoliation process as the rich foaming action removes dead cells from the top layer of the skin
If your skin feels tight after cleansing, then you’ve probably stripped away too much of the natural hydration in your skin.
WHAT INGREDIENTS TO LOOK FOR IN A CLEANSER?
Now remember, not all cleansers are created equal. For me, I’ve trusted my Celavive Gentle Foam Cleanser for over 2+ years now and never looked back. Here are some ingredients in it, and perhaps you can look for these when you shop for your next cleanser.
• Squalene – helps restore and retain moisture and lipids in the top layer of the skin.
• Glycosyl trehalose – balances moisture as it removes excess sebum from the skin. Less sebum on skin can help reduce a shiny, oily appearance.
• Soapberry extract – high in phytochemicals with soap-like foaming properties—these antioxidant-rich berries are gentle cleansers
• Soybean extract – (Glycine soja )- Antioxidant-rich, non-allergenic soybean (Glycine soja) seed extract helps protect skin’s hyaluronic acid and collagen for a hydrated appearance. It also helps balance sebum in the skin for a bright, even skin tone
• Olivol Botanical Blend – Watermelon rind, lentil, and apple fruit extracts which help promote normal production of your skin’s natural moisturizers, so skin looks hydrated. It also helps attract and hold water in the surface of the skin for a plumper appearance. This ingredient though is patented and can only be found in Celavive cleansers.
HOW TO GENTLY CLEANSE YOUR FACE?
• Squeeze a pea-sized amount of your cleanser.
• Lather with your wet fingers (don’t apply the cleanser directly to your face!).
• Gently massage the cleanser with your middle and ring fingers in circular motion. Try not to rub your face too much. And don’t forget your neck too!
• Rinse with lukewarm water.
• Pat-dry with a face towel—not the towel you use for your body.
WATCH MY VIDEO TUTORIAL ON HOW TO GENTLY CLEANSE YOUR FACE
The next time you feel like you can skip your cleanser, think again! Water is never enough especially since your skin is exposed to dirt, pollutants, even sweat, every single day. Healthy skin starts with clean skin.
I would love to hear your own cleansing routine as well. Let me know in the comments below! And if you find this blog helpful, share to your glowfriends! And stay tuned for our next #SkincareSeries episode!
To your glowy skin,
**The products I used here contains affiliate links. I only promote brands I personally would recommend based on my own experience and which also aligns with my personal values. For every purchase, I receive a minimal amount which helps support this blog. If you have questions regarding the affiliate partnership, you may contact me directly. Thanks for your support to Fit Foodie Mommy!
**References: Ask the Scientist (Celavive Skincare)