Vegan Chocolate Mug Cake that is gluten-free, dairy-free, refined-sugar free which only takes 5 minutes to prep. It’s literally a ‘piece of cake‘.
If you are craving for cake but don’t have the time or energy to whip up an entire cake, then this vegan chocolate mug cake is the answer! It’s made with almond flour, egg-free, and naturally sweetened with pure maple syrup.
My first chocolate mug cake recipe from my e-book had an egg to it (still as delicious). With my plant-based recipe experimentation going on, I decided to ‘veganize’ it and replace the egg with a ‘flax egg‘. If you’re new to vegan baking, a flax egg is simply made with ground flaxseeds (or flaxseed meal) + water. The recipe below includes the exact ratio.
WHAT INGREDIENTS MAKE THIS VEGAN CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE?
ALMOND FLOUR – is the grain-free alternative to refined all-purpose flour which is simply made from ground almonds. I usually buy the ‘blanched’ almond flour which has the almond skin taken out, giving it a finer texture when baking cakes. If you don’t have blanched almond flour, you can still other types you find in your supermarket.
FLAXSEED MEAL – or ground flaxseeds which can be found in most healthy aisles in your grocery. When mixed with water, it becomes the perfect egg substitute for most baked recipes. Flaxseeds are rich in omega 3s and also fiber, making it one of the superfoods out there. You can mix flaxseeds in smoothies and even oatmeal. For this recipe, make sure it’s the ground flaxseeds so it gives you that ‘eggy’ consistency when mixed with water.
PURE MAPLE SYRUP – the natural sweetener we use in this vegan chocolate mug cake. Make sure to read the labels and it should only have 100% pure maple. You may also use pure honey or even coconut sugar as an alternative.
UNSWEETENED RAW CACAO – raw cacao is the purest form of chocolate, made from cacao beans. It’s rich in antioxidants and is a known mood booster. It’s really the healthiest chocolate you can find! You may also use your regular cocoa powder but make sure it’s unsweetened.
ADD-ONS – for this recipe I just added dark chocolate chips. It adds richness to the cake when you get that melted chocolate in every bite. You can also add nuts like flaked almonds or chopped walnuts.
HOW TO MAKE THIS VEGAN CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE?
GREASE your microwavable mug (preferably an 8 ounce size for 1 serving of the recipe) with baking spray or coconut oil.
MIX all the ingredients in a pouring jug or directly on your mug.
COOK in the microwave for 1 minute 10 seconds (give or take), or in your oven for about 10 mins at 375 degrees Fahrenheit. If cooking in the microwave, be sure to keep an eye on it since the cooking time may vary depending on your oven.
TOP with fresh berries or dust with a little powdered sugar or cocoa powder. You can serve it with a scoop of vanilla gelato or plain coconut yogurt for vegan.
CAN YOU MAKE THIS AHEAD?
You definitely can! This recipe has no egg in it and it will store well in the fridge or freezer. You may pre-mix the ingredients in mugs or ramekins and store in the fridge for up to 4 days. When you’re ready to bake them, just pop them in the microwave or oven.
FOR MORE VEGAN RECIPES, CHECK OUT THESE READER FAVORITES:
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup or pure honey
- 1 teaspoon light olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 flax egg*
- 1 tablespoon dark chocolate chips dairy free for vegan
- fresh strawberries for toppings (or other fruits)
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds
- 2.5 tablespoons water
- Make the flax egg by mixing the ground flaxseeds and water in a small bowl. Mix with spoon and let it sit for at least 5 minutes to thicken.
- Prep an 8 ounce microwavable mug by lighlty greasing with baking spray or coconut oil. Set aside. Mix the almond flour, raw cacao, pure maple, oil, vanilla extract and the flax egg in a separate bowl or pouring jug. You can also mix it directly into your mug. Fold in the chocolate chips if using and add more for toppings.
- Bake the cake in the microwave for 1 minute 10 seconds (give or take, depending on your oven). You can also bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once cooked, top with berries and dust with cocoa powder or powdered sugar. Enjoy while warm.
I hope you enjoy this vegan chocolate mug cake and if you ever make this, be sure to leave a comment below and also tag me in Instagram if you share it.