Super-moist, fluffy, banana blueberry coconut muffins with a light coconut crumb on top which makes this officially my favorite muffin to-date!
These muffins are made from whole wheat flour, and sweetened naturally with maple syrup, coconut sugar, and mashed bananas. And fresh blueberries are folded in to give you that burst of berry flavor in every bite. Blueberries are one of the richest sources of anti-oxidants so these muffins truly hit the healthy sweet spot!
The distinct coconut taste comes from the added desiccated coconut which is optional but highly recommended. The flavor is subtle and not overpowering unlike other coconut muffins I’ve tried. I also made a crumb mix with some coconut shreds (of course) which is sprinkled generously on top of the muffin batter to give you that extra crumbly bite.
HOW TO MAKE MOIST MUFFINS?
MASHED BANANAS. Bananas are not just there for sweetness, but they add extra moisture to your muffins. Make sure to choose very ripe bananas with dark spots on it. So if you have bananas that you feel are overripe, don’t ditch them in the bin just yet! They make the best muffins and also banana breads.
DON’T OVERMIX. Over-mixing leaves you with dense muffins so go easy when mixing your batter. If you still have banana lumps or chunks in the batter, that’s okay. Once the dry and wet ingredients are combined and you see less white flour, then you’re good to go.
UNDERBAKE. I usually underbake my cakes, brownies, and yes muffins. So if the recipe says 20 minutes, check them at 15 minutes, and I turn the oven off at 18 minutes. If a toothpick comes out a little sticky (but not wet), then that’s the cue for me that they’re done. I then leave them on the muffin tin for another 5-7 minutes when I take them out of the oven so they continue cooking.
These muffins are perfect for meal-prepping so you can make double batches on weekends, and freeze some for kids’ lunchboxes. Just make sure to thaw them the night before and warm quickly in your oven before consuming.
Now let’s get baking!
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour gluten-free or all-purpose flour options
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons desiccated coconut
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sweetener of choice maple syrup/coconut sugar/brown sugar
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar or light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or butter
- Pre-heat your oven at 375 degrees F. Line a 12-muffin tray with liners.
- In a bowl, mash the bananas, and mix with the sweetener (maple or sugar), coconut oil, eggs, vanilla extract. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder and baking soda, salt, and desiccated coconut. Then pour the wet ingredients into the dry and gently mix until combined. Don't overmix, otherwise you'll get dense muffins. Fold in gently the blueberries. If you're using frozen blueberries, you can thaw them for a few minutes and drain excess moisture as they tend to discolor the batter. Be extra gentle when folding them into the batter. Scoop batter into the muffin tins by using an ice cream scoop or tablespoon (2-3 tablespoons).
- In a small bowl, mix all the crumb ingredients and use a fork to fluff the butter or oil into the mix until you get a crumbly mixture. You can add more flour if it's too wet. Then sprinkle generously on top of each of the muffin batter.
- Bake the muffins for 15-18 minutes. Check around 15 minutes and insert a toothpick at the center. If it comes out a little sticky but not wet, you can turn off the oven after a minute or two. Take the muffin tray out of the oven and leave it on the counter to cool for another 5-7 minutes. Store in airtight containers and store in the fridge for up to 5 days, or the freezer for up to a month.
If you love muffins, be sure to check my other favorites!
Hope you enjoy these muffins with your kids and family! If you do, be sure to leave a comment below and let me know how your recreations go!