This Chocolate Banana Zucchini Bread is perfect for breakfast or for afternoon tea. It’s made with shredded zucchini, ripe bananas and with a rich chocolate flavor. It’s also super easy to make and will surely be a family favorite!
Chocolate and banana are a match-made in heaven don’t you think? But it’s always bonus points especially if you are a mom and you throw in some veggies in there. Zucchini is one of those versatile fruits (although most people would consider it a vegetable) which you can pretty much throw in almost anything–from meatballs to burgers, and of course, banana breads.
WHAT YOU’LL LOVE ABOUT THIS
It’s using whole wheat flour, sweetened with coconut sugar and pure maple which are all-natural sweetener alternatives, PLUS it has loads of bananas and zucchinis in there which makes it extra moist.
Zucchini has zero fat and has high fiber and water content. You would need to squeeze out the water from the shredded zucchinis or you’ll end up with mushy bread. This summer squash has loads of vitamins like C and K, and minerals such as potassium and manganese. It has anti-inflammatory nutrients which is known to help with vision, and cardiovascular health when taken regularly.
You can toast it for breakfast or afternoon tea and spread some nut butter over it which makes it the perfect pairing with a good, warm cuppa.
OTHER ZUCCHINI RECIPES
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour or sub with flour of choice
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cacao or cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup or sub with more coconut sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated zucchini, packed
- 3/4 cup mashed ripe bananas
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- dark chocolate chips
- chopped walnuts
- Preheat your oven to 375 deg F. Spray a loaf pan or line with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients — cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- In a larger bowl, whisk the oil, eggs, coconut sugar, pure maple and vanilla extract until smooth and creamy. Add in the shredded zucchini and the mashed bananas. Mix until well-combined.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet, gently mixing until it's all well combined. Don't over-mix or you'll end up with very dense bread.
- Fold in the dark chocolate chips. Pour the batter into the loaf pan and add toppings of your choice. Bake for about 45-50 minutes or until a stick when inserted comes out clean.
- Once done, let it cool on the loaf pan for 10 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool for another 15 minutes before slicing. Store in the fridge for up to a week or in the freezer for up to a month.
I hope you enjoy this CHOCOLATE BANANA ZUCCHINI BREAD and if you do make it, please leave me a comment or feedback below. I would love to know how it goes!